A staggering number of women suffer with thyroid issues- such as Goiter, Hashimoto’s Disease, Hyperthyroidism, Graves disease and Hypothyroidism.
Hypothyroidism being the most common of the thyroid issues.
Women are more likely to have hypothyroidism. It seldom causes overt symptoms in the early stages, with the common first signs such as fatigue, weight gain and depression often being overlooked or misdiagnosed. But over time, untreated hypothyroidism can cause a number of health problems such as obesity, joint pain, infertility, pregnancy complications, elevated cholesterol, chronic fatigue and heart disease. The good news is that with accurate and thorough thyroid function tests, hypothyroidism can be diagnosed in its early subclinical stages and appropriate treatment can be provided.
Iodine deficiency is the most common cause of hypothyroidism.Other common causes of hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's Disease include
- Environmental toxicity-these can include halide exposure (chlorine, bromine and fluoride), heavy metals, pesticides, common plastics (such as drinking water bottles)
- Copper toxicity
- Stress (from an endocrine point of view- this means elevated cortisol levels)
- Nutritional deficiencies (including iodine, zinc, selenium, iron, D3, A)- these can be tested via medical blood tests
- High Reverse T3 (a form of T3 hormone which is inactive)
Medical endocrinology traditionally has taken a reductionist approach, examining hormones in isolation, rather than looking at the system as a whole.
Being a specialist in Restorative Integrative Endocrinology- this is how Angela's approach differs:
- First we take a holistic "big picture" look at you as an individual
- Then we backing up with comprehensive medical blood testing, in order to actually find the missing links and causative factors
- And finally, we designing a thorough personalised treatment plan for you- based in research, evidence and science
- Ongoing- we re test at regular intervals and modify your treatment plan until all results are normal, stable and you feel well
Our approach will provide the ultimate restorative effect on thyroid hormone imbalance AND can safely be used in conjunction with common thyroid medical treatments, such as thyroxine.
We have a passion for research in restorative endocrinology and can help you get your thyroid health, weight and energy back on track.